Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mackenzie's Birth

Tuesday we had to be at the hospital at 5:15 a.m. Yuck. Brady was still awake when Jeremiah and I went to bed around 11:30 p.m. Monday night. I don't think any of us got much sleep at all. We got up early and got to the hopsital on time. It was 11 degrees outside. Ugh. When we got inside we got registered and headed up to the labor and delivery floor. We had quite a caravan - Me, Jeremiah, Brady, Mom, Dad and Robin all filed onto the floor. We got settled in our room and then everyone but me and Jeremiah went to the waiting room so they could get my IV and catheder started and put on all my baby monitors. When I got hooked up the nurse was like, "Can you feel those contractions?" I said, "What contractions?" I turned and looked at the monitor and saw there definately were contractions taking place. She said they were coming every three minutes so even if I wasn't scheduled to have Mackenzie that day she was going to be coming pretty soon anyway!

After the doctor and anestesiologists came in to see me they sent me to the O.R. Jeremiah waited outside for a few minutes while they got my pain meds running. Once I was strapped onto the table Jeremiah came in and it wasn't long before Dr. Bavishi was making the first cut. That's where the fun came in. I puked once before Mackenzie was even out. It took quite a bit to get her out too... she apparently had her hand cupped around her one ear so she wouldn't fit through the hole Dr. Bavishi had cut. She was pushing on one side, a nurse was pushing on the other side and then they enlisted the help of the anestesiologist to push from up top over my head. I have a ton of bruises on my stomach from all this pushing. It took what seemed like forever to get her out. Finally she came out and all I heard was her crying! Jeremiah said she looked great and she sounded great too! She got an 8 out of 10 on her apgar score which was really good. Later Jeremiah told me since they had been pushing so long to get her out she was pretty much purple when she came out. Yikes. I'm glad he kept that to himself. I got to see her for a quick couple of seconds and she was not really purple anymore except her hands.

Once she was out Jeremiah was off to the nursery with her while they stitched me up. We met back in my room. After a little while Jeremiah went and got Brady. Around 10:30 after feeding Mackenzie and having some time to recover everyone else was able to come in. None of us could believe how much she looks just like Brady looked when he was born - only smaller, and of course, girlier!

That's pretty much it, not too eventful - just the way we like it! She was born at 7:55 a.m. and was 7 pounds 14.8 ounces. She was 19 inches long.

I'll try to dig up some pictures of Brady when he was born and do some side by side comparisons sometime soon! It's dinner time now though...time to eat!

1 comment:

Laurie Lou said...

Glad to hear things went smoothly. I was thinking about you on Tuesday. Ever since Ava's dramatic entrance I get nervous for everyone. She was a 0 on the apgar score wouldn't know it now though..lol..
She's a cutie...and I can't wait to hear of stories of adjusting to two kids...so I know that I can do it someday..Congrats again.